Thursday 26 January 2012

RACES



    Concert season is rolling in once again, and the ticket compartment of my wallet is filling up as rapidly as my disposable income is deflating. It's time for $4.50 Pabst-filled bellies, croaked sales pitches, and cheap sandwich dinners. But hey, it's all for the sake of great music, and God knows we all need something to keep our minds off the early month weather.

    Last night, I battled through said weather for the first concert of the season. Funnily enough, trudging back home through the sleet, it was not the headlining band I had set out to see that was the subject of my post-concert glow, but...the opener. This was the first time this had happened to me. I felt almost guilty; as though I had hooked up with the wing-man of a date...

    Who is this 'other' band? The second party to my betrayal? Los Angeles bred sextet RACES. Combining meticulously composed hard-hitting guitar shreddies, hauntingly flawless vocals, and a unique flow that melds folk, indie, rock, and psych, Races has created a refreshingly fresh sound that has me all gaga and crazy-like. They killed it, here having the dual meanings of having rocked the place, and having completely ruined the rest of the concert. No hard feelings here though.

    Races has released an EP 'Big Brooms' which is a prelude of sorts for their debut LP 'Year of the Witch', available to the masses this March 27th. There is also their first official video, hot off the press, which I have posted for your listening/viewing pleasure below (I don't want to spoil it, but there's a hell of a lot of party balloons and confetti, and the cameo of a certain taxidermy-ed mammal. Rather exciting, to say the least, so make sure to check it out)...

    Which concerts are you most looking forward to/partially starving yerselves for?

 

No comments:

Post a Comment